Inclusion & Diversity
We actively strive to build a culture of inclusion and increase the diversity of our IAT family. Embracing the uniqueness of our employees, investing in their development, listening to, and engaging their ideas strengthens our decision-making and allows our results to flourish.
We are A Family of Answers® – a collective force driven by our desire to provide insurance solutions to people and businesses. We have many dimensions and are rooted in the inclusion of ALL.
Accountability Starts At The Top
Our inclusion and diversity efforts are sponsored by our CEO and actively supported by our senior leadership team. Progress takes measurement so senior leadership meets regularly to review and assess the effectiveness of our inclusion and diversity efforts. Additionally, all people managers have inclusion and diversity competencies and goals tied to their performance reviews. We also measure employee sentiment in an annual workplace culture survey which includes several questions around inclusion, trust, and belonging. Results of the survey are shared with all employees each year and we implement new programs and benefits in response to the employee feedback.
We’re proud of the culture we’re building at IAT.
IAT Community Forums are small group discussions that serve as a recurring opportunity for employees to come together for open and honest dialogue about current social issues like racial injustice and inequality in a safe and supportive environment.
Family Ambassadors are our focus group of engaged employees that serve as a sounding board to new ideas, provide insight and inspiration as our Family of Answers grows and evolves.
Attracting and Retaining Talent
Our Strategy continues to evolve as we expand our recruiting efforts to attract new candidates. We intentionally partner with professional organizations, industry groups, and recruit from schools with higher populations of underrepresented students, like Historically Black Colleges and Universities, to share more about the industry and career opportunities.
We know that getting talent in the door is the first step but encouraging them to stay is equally important. In addition to ensuring our employees have a seat at the IAT family table where their ideas are heard, we offer a competitive benefits package to help bring out the best in every employee.
Learn more here.
Partners and Industry Involvement
We are proud to partner with the National African American Insurance Association (NAAIA), the Association for Professional Insurance Women (APIW), Prospanica and Gamma Iota Sigma (GIS). Through these partnerships, we offer resources, training and development opportunities, and professional networking to our employees. We also participate in events with our partners that further the inclusion & diversity conversation and efforts within the insurance industry. Fees for IAT employees eager to join these associations are sponsored by the company.
- CEO Bill Cunningham served as a panelist in “A Conversation About Race” and “Making Diversity, Equity & Inclusion a Reality – The Move from Dialogue to Action” virtual webinars
- SVP of Talent and Leadership Development, Bill Teed, was named an NAAIA Board Member for the Greater Hartford Chapter and a member of the Advisory Council for Gamma Iota Sigma in 2022
- Employee Engagement Specialist, Lindsay Spann, serves as the Vice-Chair of the DEI Committee for IASA (Insurance Accounting Systems Association)
- VP of Litigation and Vendor Management, Mike Zeoli, is a champion of DRI (Defense Research Institute) Alternate Dispute Resolution DEI Inclusion Initiative, with a goal of increasing diversity and inclusion in claims mediation and arbitration selection processes
- Corporate Advocate for NAAIA's Talent Development Competition (2020, 2021, and 2022)
- SVP of Excess Casualty Mid-Market Coy Rudd served as a mentor during NAAIA’s 2020 Leadership Summit
- Participant in the Contractor Bonding Education & Mentoring Program with the Surety and Fidelity Association of America (SFAA) and the National Association of Surety Bond Producers (NASBP) to help support small, new and emerging minority-owned and underrepresented contractors
Training, Learning, and Development
Unconscious Bias Awareness Training is a half-day workshop designed to help employees recognize unconscious biases in and outside of IAT and determine ways to eliminate bias, champion inclusion and the value of cultural differences.
IAT University offers a range of development courses, programs, and training tools to help employees grow their careers and leadership skills.
In addition to career path-specific coursework, IAT University is home to several courses dedicated to inclusion and diversity, including:
- Bridging the Diversity Gap
- Managing Diversity
- Understanding Workplace Diversity
- Your Role in Workplace Diversity
- Crucial Conversations
In addition, we recently introduced a formal Mentorship program.
Our Intranet helps the IAT family stay connected and houses a page with resources specifically for continued learning and development.